Thursday, June 7, 2007

Reworking the Watches I Make

In learning how to bead I have found that my creations do not always stand the test of time and of everyday use. Also, I need to learn to be able to gauge sizes for people. But, for now have been concentrating my efforts more towards just getting the pieces to not be falling apart every time I turn around.

I've given several away, but I've only actually heard back from one person with her experiences wearing the watch. It has made me think that the other people might also be having trouble with their watches, but for whatever reason have not said anything to me. And, I'm thinking there must be at least something wrong with those watches because I've had trouble with the two I've been wearing myself.

So, this is one of those cosmic universe lessons for me. What I should do in my quest to become a good beading artistan is to go and ask the people I gave watches to how they've been holding up. That's me conquering shyness. That's me putting myself on the line and being prepared to take whatever comes my way in the way of negativity (or praise). That's the next step.

And, it also points out to me that what I should do when I give a watch away in these early days of me learning this craft is to plainly say to the folks, "I'll be checking back in with you periodically to see how the watch is holding up. I want you to wear the crap out of it and I want to see how it does."

2 comments:

Mystery Maiden said...

I'm passing through via BE - Hello!

You're writing about Follow Up, which is one of the cornerstones of business. It's so important, in fact, that I commit 30 minutes each day, no matter what, to following up with my customers. Most people, if dissatisfied, will not tell you, either because they don't have the time or because they want to spare feelings.

I struggle too, with the fear that when I follow up someone is going to tell me they are dissatisfied. As humans, we have a natural fear of rejection.

But, as the saying goes, "Throw your girdle into it!" Go on and make that call, despite the fear, and your watches will be better for it in the end!

:)
Mystery
http://www.shotinthedarkmysteries.com

Pauline Evanosky said...

Thanks Mystery. Really good advice.