Thursday, May 30, 2019

Recovering a Pair of Headphones


I wanted to listen to my laptop without disturbing my husband.  Found a pair of Logitech headphones in a drawer and put them on.   

They worked great, but when I took them off, I found little flecks of black stuff, like large pieces of dandruff in my hair, on my ears and stuck to my face.  My headphones were disintegrating!  Over time the black material that covered the headpiece and the ear pads was just falling off.  So, I picked whatever I could find off and determined to do something with these headphones.

Found myself recovering from a salivary stone, feeling a bit more energy but not well enough to go back to work and determined I had found a use for my really cool Vera Wang Tee-shirt.  I’d worn it once, bought at the Good Will Store in my neighborhood and discovered a whole bunch of moth holes.  Note to Self:  Pay attention when you buy stuff at Good Will.

So, here’s what I did.  At Spirit’s suggestion I used a paper towel to make a pattern.  It was soft enough that I could hold and fold it easily enough on the headpiece and one of the ear pieces.  Used a blue Sharpie Marker to make some dashes along where I figured the seams would go.  

Cut out the material adding a bit of a seam allowance.  Made some long basting stitches on the circular pieces, drew it up, folded under the raw edges and stuck pins in to hold it all together.  Used one of my favorite needles, a short sharpie, with blue thread to do a half-assed job of stitching it to the ear pieces.


I sewed the head piece in the same manner, using enough material to wrap it length wise with about 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Folded it all together and attempted to make nice neat stitches.  What is nice is because there is an irregular pattern to the fabric you really can't see that my stitches are uneven. 


It’s great.  Better, I think than the crocheted covered headphones I did so many years ago because the tee-shirt material is so soft.

Repurposed a very nice set of headphones and it only took a couple of hours.

P.S. This post hit the web on 5/30/2019. Now, almost 4 years later, on 5/22/2023 those headphones are still in service. They are comfortable as they can be, and I've enjoyed them all these years. 

Times have moved on. We've been through the Covid-19 pandemic. Both I and my husband got it last December. The worst of it lasted about a month. We've since recovered, except I still don't have my entire sense of taste or smell back. Not necessarily a bad thing especially with foul smells. But, there is slow improvement. The worst seems to be a sudden acceleration of aging-related issues. Like my muscle mass has taken a hit. I am just not as strong as I was before. 

So, if anybody is reading this, I'm still here. Thanks for reading.

No comments: